Information Sessions for Fall 2018 Have Been Announced!
Interested students should attend an upcoming information session. All information sessions are held in the Global Studies office located at 702 S. Wright Street, 3062 Lincoln Hall, Urbana, IL 61801
The Certificate in International Development Studies is open to all undergraduate students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
This Certificate is an interdisciplinary program of study in the social sciences focused on development theory and interventions. Students will gain fundamental skills for understanding and assessing global to local scale institutions and strategies that seek to improve human well-being in the global South.
The Certificate in International Development Studies provides students with a credential that demonstrates their competency in interdisciplinary approaches to contemporary international development. Such skills are valued by a range of organizations including government agencies, non-governmental organizations, consulting firms, philanthropic organizations, social enterprises, private sector firms, and educational institutions.Students must complete 15 hours of course work that includes:
- Three Global Studies core courses*:
- GLBL 250 Development (offered only in spring semester)
- GLBL 350 Poverty in the Global Context (offered only in fall semester)
- GLBL 450 Poverty Interventions and Evaluation (offered only in spring semester)
- Six hours of elective coursework from more than one department, including one course at the 300 or 400 level. Refer to the approved elective course list for more information.
* Students are strongly recommended to take the core courses in a sequence, starting with GLBL 250: Development.
All students pursuing the Certificate in International Development Studies must meet with a Global Studies advisor to discuss their options. You will also be required to submit a Certificate Plan of Study.
For more information contact the LAS Global Studies Office at 217-333-0178 or firstname.lastname@example.org