"Membership in Sigma Iota Rho provides you with resources for a future career in the international arena, focuses on academic achievement, and is a fun way to make connections and get to know others in the Global Studies major."
-- Former SIR Delta Zeta President Gloria Schmitz
The Delta Zeta Chapter of Sigma Iota Rho, the Honor Society for International Studies, was established primarily as a means by which to honor those students who have excelled academically and who have shown extracurricular achievement. The purpose of Sigma Iota Rho (SIR) is to promote and reward scholarship and service among students and practitioners of global studies, international affairs, and international studies and to foster integrity and creative performance in the conduct of world affairs. This honor society is a great opportunity for students interested in Global Studies research and service.
National honor society membership provides opportunities for students to serve in leadership positions as officers or just contribute to the organization of Chapter activities. Members also have the opportunity to publish their research in the Journal of International Relations and participate in national conferences. More information about SIR can be found here: http://www.sigmaiotarho.org/
Your acceptance to Sigma Iota Rho carries with it the obligation to participate fully in the activities of SIR and to promote the study of global issues both at the University of Illinois and throughout your career.
SIR desires only members who are eager to participate in the Honor Society. Given other demands on your time, please only apply if you are willing to contribute to the maintenance and growth of the Delta Zeta Chapter of SIR.
Qualifications For Full Membership
- Junior and Senior Global Studies major.
- Overall GPA of 3.3 or above
- Major GPA of 3.3 or above (Be sure that your MPS is up to date in order to reflect your current Major GPA)
- Completion of at least 21 hours of coursework towards the GS major at the time of application.
- Completion of at least two courses at the 300-level or above at time of application
- Commitment to global issues and intercultural awareness
QUALIFICATIONS FOR ADJUNCT MEMBERSHIP -for sophomores and juniors aiming for full membership upon qualification
- Have completed course work in global studies including courses in relevant subject areas of anthropology, economics, foreign languages, geography, history, political science, and other related disciplines.
- Have attained a sophomore standing and completed at least twelve (12) hours of course work towards Global Studies major.
- Plan to reapply for full membership upon qualification.
Dr. Charles Fogelman- Faculty Advisor
Inductees for AY 2017 - 2018:
Full Member Inductees:
Tsengel Enkhamgalan, Robin Wilson, Francesca Robinson, Tanairy DelGado, Madison Johnston, and Batoul Hasan.
NOTE: Applications are only accepted once a year during the fall semester. The application is online so it can be completed while studying abroad. The national initiation fee must be submitted before membership becomes official.
Students accepted as full members of Sigma Iota Rho must pay a one-time national membership initiation fee, which is $45. This fee entitles the member to a welcome package including a graduation cord, certificate, and SIR pin.
Questions about Sigma Iota Rho can be directed to Dr. Charles Fogelman at firstname.lastname@example.org.